Report 23. A Geographic Information System (GIS) approach to locating potential planting sites for the Catalpa longisssima species (chene) in Haiti
Brown, Douglas C.
MetadataShow full item record
DescriptionThe Haiti Agroforestry Research Project was a program to encourage Haitian farmers to plant fast growing trees as a cash crop. This project was part of an overall plan by USAID to curb the devastating erosion which was washing the top soil into the sea.
This paper reports the results of a preliminary study of the use of a Geographic Information System (GIS) approach to locating potentially superior sites for the cultivation of Catalpa Longissima species in Haiti. A total of 75 selected yokewood (chêne) phenotypes throughout the country were employed in the study. The following characteristics of the areas in which the trees were located were examined: (1) agro-ecological zones using Holdridge Life Zone classifications (1963); (2) soil potential; and (3) annual rainfall. Most of the trees were found to have come from three agro-ecological zones: Fth-S; Fs-S and Fh-S. Each zone respectively corresponds to the categories of "sub-tropical rain forest," "sub-tropical humid forest" and "sub-tropical dry forest." The analysis showed that soil type apparently had little effect on the morphology of the yokewood, which was found in mediocre to alluvial types of soils. Rocky or saline soils provided few specimens. Nearly 90% of the trees selected grew in regions where rainfall varies between 800 to 2000 mm per year. The remaining 10% were found in areas of scarce rainfall (400 to 800 mm per year) as well as in those in which rainfall was abundant (2000 to 3200 mm per year). The results of the analysis of the sites of the trees were used to indicate other places in Haiti with similar characteristics and which, accordingly, are potentially good sites for the cultivation of yokewood. This paper includes a map showing the relative suitability of zones for the cultivation of the species, as well as field measurements and other data used in the study.Nan mwa janvie ki sot pase-a, te gen yon pratik sou itilisasyon sistem enfomasyon jeografik (GIS) peyi dayiti-a pou nou te ka tou dabo: we ki sa sistem sa-a ye; dezyem man, we nesesite'l nan pratik agwosilvikol yo. Apre preske you semen antrennman kote nou te chwazi 75 pye bwa'd Chen ki te seleksyone nan maje pati peyi dayiti. Nou te detemine nan ki zo'n Agwo-Ekolojik plis bwa'd Chen te seleksyone dapre jan Holdridge te fe clasificasyon an pou peyi-a (1963); nan ki kalte te pye bwa ki seleksyone yo bay pi bel bwa; e an denye lye we ki kantite la pli ki tombe chak lane nan zo'n kot pyé bwa sa-yo kanpé. Rezilta nou te jwen'n montre nou ke:maje pati pye bwa'd Chen ki seleksyone yo, kanpe plis nan 3 zo'n Agwo-Ekolojik Holdridge: Fth-S, Fs-S e Fh-s; ki korespon'n e fore tre zimid sou-twopikal, a fore sesh sou-twopikal e a fore imid sou twopikal respecktivman. Rezilta yo montre nou tou ke nenpot ki te ka bay bel bwa'd Chen, depi sou te ki medyok ale sou bon te alivyon; men li tre difisil pou'm pa di enposib jwen bel bwa'd Chen byen fome nan te ki gen roch ak te ki sale. Nou remake anko ke pi fo pye bwa'd Chen yo, se ta di 89.6%, te selecksyone nan rejyon kote gen yon kantite la pli de 800 a 200 mm ki tonbe chak lane, lot 10.4% te nan zo'n kote pa gen ase la pli (400 a 800 mm pa an) ak kote ki gen twop la pli (2000 a 3200 mm pa an) respektivman.
Showing items related by title, author, creator and subject.
Report 43. Essai comparatif de variétés de haricot résistantes à la Mosaïque dorée et au stress de chaleur Jean, Yves; Shannon, Dennis A.; Brockman, Frank E.; Moïse, Julène; Prophète, EmmanuelLe Haricot est une denrée très cultivée et consommée dans toutes les régions d'Haïti. La production est insuffisante à couvir les besoins de consommation du pays principalement à cause de la faiblesse du rendement imputable ...
Guthrie, Richard L.; Isaac, Lionel; Alexis, Gerard; Bernard, Carine R.; Blemur, MargueriteReliable recommendations for the development of agroforestry systems require accurate descriptions of the environment. Information on the properties of soils in selected sites is needed to expand agroforestry in regions ...
Swanson, Richard A.; Gustave, William; Jean, Yves; Saint-Dic, RooseveltThis report covers one of several surveys conducted as part of the on-going effort by SECID/Auburn University and its partners in PLUS, PADF, and CARE, to implement a Monitoring and Evaluation System which orients the ...